Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Graduate Course in Digital History

One of my projects this summer is to put together a new graduate course on digital history (Hist513F), primarily for our public history students, but open to others. My goal is to provide a course that reflects the kind of work that I've been doing in this blog, while recognizing the fact that many of the students in the course may have never programmed before. Following the O'Reilly hacks model, I've come up with three categories of lab exercises: easy (no programming), medium (a bit of programming) and hard (a lot of programming). My hope is that students will be able to find something fun and challenging to do, whatever their level of expertise.

About a third of the seminar readings are drawn from multiple versions of GMU's "Clio Wired" course. The rest come from the blogosphere, online journals, and other sources. So far, I haven't made use of any gated resources, so the course should be accessible to anyone who wants to make use of it. If you have any suggestions or ideas, I'd be happy to hear from you at wturkel@uwo.ca.

Tags: | | |