Friday, March 10, 2006

Blogospheric Stock

A few days ago, Mills noted that his excellent blog edwired (devoted to teaching and learning history online) ranked 217,330 at Technorati. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, Digital History Hacks had the exact same Technorati rank that day. Monitoring the ranking of a number of digital history blogs over the span of a few weeks, I've noticed that they rise and fall with respect to one another, but they also tend to rise or fall in absolute terms. I'm sure this isn't a new idea, but I got to wondering about creating something like a composite index for blogs (like the Dow-Jones or Nasdaq). One could check in and see not only how individual blogs were doing, but how (say) history blogs were doing in a relative sense. Like I say, I'm sure someone has already done this ... please feel free to e-mail me and let me know.

Tags: